Your transport

Meridian are happy to arrange all your transportation needs from airport transfers to and from our English language schools through to local travel passes.

Transport may be by train, coach, bus or taxi but you can be assured that Meridian will ensure value for money while giving equal consideration to your comfort.
If you are travelling by bus organised by Meridian please remember that each person may only bring 20kg of luggage with them.

This amount should fit into two medium sized suitcases without difficulty. Extra luggage, including awkwardly shaped items, will only be carried if there is space. If you plan on bringing more than the above specified luggage please consult us.
Transportation is provided by local companies who have shown continuity and commitment to the safe and reliable travel of our participants.

It should be noted that the security at airports in the United Kingdom is rigorous. London Heathrow, London Gatwick, Bristol have set procedures that need to be adhered too.

Organising your own transport advice:
  1. Most bus carriers have set a 20kg limit on luggage per passenger.
  2. To organise your own airport transfer, please visit one of the following websites.
  3. Coach travel - Megabus
  4. Coach travel - National Express
  5. Rail travel - National Rail
Airport transfer by taxi:
  1. Maximum of three persons in a standard saloon car with one medium suitcase per person
  2. For up to five persons in a people carrier with one medium suitcase each add 30%
Local travel passes:
  1. The local travel price is based on Meridian organising and managing the local travel
  2. It may be cheaper if you organise the local travel yourself directly.
  3. To organise your own local travel in Plymouth, please visit the following website: First Group or Plymouth City Bus
  4. To organise your own local travel in Portsmouth, please visit the following website: First Group
  5. Please note that if you organise your own local travel pass directly, we cannot accept any responsibility for this aspect of the project.


  • Standard Visitor Visa now replaces all the other types of visa (family, business, child, entertainer etc.)
  • People with a Standard Visitor Visa are allowed to attend a maximum of 30 days of ELT as long as it is NOT the main reason for entering the country and does not take up more than 50% of their time in the country
  • Short-Term Study Visa (6 months and 11 months)
  • Tier 4 remains the same
  • ALL visa students must now pay a healthcare fee as part of the visa application – less than 6 months visa = £89 / 6 months or more = £170

How do I know if I need a visa to study at your school(s)?

The following link will take you to a page where you can input data about your nationality etc. and tell you if you need a visa:

>> Check if you need a UK visa <<

Learning English as a foreign language

You must be at least 18 years old and accepted on a course to learn English as a foreign language if you’re applying for an 11 month Short-term study visa.

How long you can stay

You can stay in the UK for:

  • 6 months - for any short course (including English language courses), or short period of research if you’re 18 or over
  • 11 months - if you’re 18 or over and taking an English language course

How can I get more information about the visa requirements?


You must always inform us if you are unwell!

NHS Treatment is free of charge for all EU nationals but you will have to pay for any of the medicines you may need. Any students from outside the EU will need to have their own medical insurance.

Students who come to the UK on a Short-Term Study Visa or Tier 4 Visa cannot get private medical treatment. However, there is a procedure in the UK where non-EU students can attended a medical centre. They pay £50 each time they need to make a visit and are given a receipt so they can claim the money back from their own Health Insurance policy when they return to their own country. For more information about healthcare, see Information for Visitors to England (NHS website).

Visiting a Doctor

If you need to go to the doctor you will need an appointment. If you live with a host family you can see their GP (General Practitioner) who will sign you in as a visitor and this is free of charge. If you live in self-catering accommodation, contact us and we will make an appointment for you.

Visiting a Dentist

Dental treatment is not free in England. You will have to pay for this treatment but you should be able to claim this back from your insurance (if you have bought any). If you need a dentist, please contact us and we will make the necessary arrangements.

Going to Hospital

If you have a serious illness, a medical emergency or have injured yourself in an accident, an ambulance should be called and you will be taken to the nearest hospital. To call for an ambulance dial 999 and ask for ambulance. You will need to give the full name of the person requiring medical assistance, their date of birth, gender, race and the exact location, e.g. the nearest house number (or landmark) and street name.


All medicines must be paid for. You can check the current prices of prescriptions on the NHS Website.


Your stay with us won’t be just about learning English in the classroom. We have prepared a range of activities to give you the opportunity of experiencing British culture, exploring the city you are studying in and having fun with other students from all over the world!

We invite you to join our varied social events which include an orientation walk on your first day, social evenings in traditional English pubs, a chance to taste World cuisine in the popular local restaurants, listening to live music, doing karaoke, challenging your classmates at bowling, pool and skittles, going shopping - or if you still have the energy there are the local night clubs to visit!

If you also feel like joining academic activities we have it covered - every week we organise an English conversation class and British culture afternoon with book discussion group, film club and seminars.